11.05.2013

What do you desire?

For a while I've had this question in my head. My sister liked this video a while back and it's something I can't stop thinking about.

 
Alan Watts: What do you desire? from Omer K. F. on Vimeo.

This part really gets to me: You do that! And forget the money!’ Because if you say that getting the money is the most important thing you will spend your life completely wasting your time! You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living – that is to go on doing things you don’t like doing! Which is stupid! Better to have a short life that is full of which you like doing then a long life spent in a miserable way.
 

To further meditate on this concept I created this image. I plan on keeping that question in mind and trying to really get to the heart of what I desire.

2 comments:

  1. Good video and great stuff. I wholeheartedly agree that if you aren't doing what's makes you happy then what's the point. But you still need to make money. It'd be a wonderful world if we could all do what we love but the world would also suck if no one loved picking up garbage or working retail. I guess the real point is just to figure out the answer to that question what do you desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt, it's been a challenge Jon and I have been facing for a while. What's been driving me lately is cultivating and encouraging others in their creativity. It's something that motivates and energizes me, I like seeing people click over into a creative mode they didn't realize they had. Everyone is creative, it's accessing that creativity, it comes in so many different forms. Now I just have to figure out how to make a living at it. Plans are in the works, very beginning plans at least. It's an admittedly scary prospect, but I'm trying to be brave about it. If it fails, at least I tried. I'm no longer allowing a life with regret or fear of change and failure. As things develop I plan on posting. For now I'm doing my best to keep all those doubtful voices in my head at bay and chipping away at organizing my ideas and thoughts on it all so I can continue to make progress in a positive direction.

    ReplyDelete